The Unrepeated Summer — A Novel
The Unrepeated Summer — A Novel
An original novel composed after the manner of Fitzgerald’s The Great Gatsby (1925) under the Narrative Composition Protocol (NCP v0.4). Commitment slate: C1 Leave Non-Operative, C2 Carry (load-bearing, resolved), C3 Carry (resolved), C4 Non-Operative by standing ruling, C5 Carry, C6 Carry. Instrument architecture and analysis: Dave Kelly. Prose rendering: Claude (Anthropic). 2026.
I
My grandmother used to say that a man is known by what he will not take, and I have spent a good deal of my life discovering how many ways there are to misunderstand that.
I took the position at Corliss & Bray in the spring of 1923, twenty-six years old and three years out of the war, and I let it be understood in a general way that I had come to them through my father’s connection with old Mr. Bray. This was not precisely a lie. My father did know Bray, distantly, from some committee work before the war, and had mentioned my name to him in a letter that Bray, so far as I ever learned, never read. What actually got me the position was a recommendation from a man named Aloysius Teale, a claims adjuster who had shared my billet in France and who wrote three unsolicited pages to the firm on my behalf, out of nothing but the memory of an unremarkable friendship in a bad year. I never corrected the impression. It cost nobody anything. Teale never knew, and would not have minded if he had; the firm never inquired; my father was pleased to think he had done something for me. I have set it down here first, before anything else, because it took me a full year to understand that it was the truest thing about me in that whole season, and everything else in this account is in some sense a story about how I came to understand it.
The firm put me in their Poughkeepsie office, which suited me. I had had my fill of cities. I took three rooms in a converted carriage house on the river road four miles north, a place with bad plumbing and a good view, and settled in among people who had known each other since before the Republic and regarded a man of twenty-six from Ohio as a form of weather — not unwelcome, but not permanent either.
The great house on the bluff above me belonged to Royal Teague.
I did not know that at first. What I knew was that somebody up there was spending money in a way the valley had not seen since the old fortunes went, and that the spending had a particular quality to it that people found difficult to describe and impossible to stop describing. It was not vulgar. That was what confused them. The Teague place did not have gold fixtures or a menagerie; it had a lawn cut every third day by four men, and a boathouse rebuilt to a specification nobody could identify, and a habit of filling with music on Saturday nights in a way that suggested the music had been going on for some time before you noticed it and would go on after you left.
I met him in June, at the ferry landing, before I had any idea who he was.
I had missed the four o’clock and was sitting on a piling with my coat over my arm, and a man in white flannels came down the ramp and stood a moment looking out at the water with the particular stillness of someone doing arithmetic he does not want to be seen doing.
“You’re the fellow in the carriage house,” he said, without turning.
“I am.”
“Ledyard. Samuel. Corliss and Bray.” He said it the way a man reads a card he has already memorized. Then he turned, and I understood something about him at once that took everybody else in that valley the whole summer to arrive at: that the knowing-your-name was not a trick to impress you, and was not friendliness either. It was preparation. He had prepared for me the way a man prepares for a meeting he has scheduled.
“Royal Teague,” he said. “I’m your neighbour, in the sense that a mountain is a farmer’s neighbour. I’d be glad if you’d come up Saturday.”
He was perhaps thirty-five, with a face that had been handsome and had not stopped being handsome so much as stopped needing to be, and a manner of listening that I have never encountered in anyone before or since. When I said something perfectly ordinary about the ferry schedule, he attended to it as though the ferry schedule were the one subject he had come down to the landing hoping someone would raise. It was not flattery. Flattery I would have recognised. It was that his attention had a great deal of pressure behind it and no particular direction, like water in a pipe, and whatever you put in front of it received the whole of it until you moved away.
I went up on Saturday.
II
What I remember of that first party is not the party. It is that at some point past midnight, with perhaps eighty people on the lawn and the music going, I found Teague standing alone at the low wall above the boathouse, not looking at any of it.
“Do you know what the trouble is with a thing like this,” he said, when I came up beside him. He did not phrase it as a question and did not wait. “It has to be seen from the right side of the river to mean anything. From here it’s only expensive.”
Across the water there were three or four lights along the far shore, and one of them, further south, was steadier and warmer than the rest.
“Whose is that?”
“Bracewell’s,” he said, and the name went past me entirely, that first night, the way the important thing generally does.
I learned the rest of it slowly and in the wrong order, which is how one learns anything in a valley like that. Hallam Bracewell had money of the old kind — three generations of it, a grandfather in railroads and a father in nothing at all, which in that world is a form of accomplishment. He had rowed at Yale and had a way of standing in a doorway that made the doorway seem smaller. And he had married, six years before, a woman named Vivienne Aubry, whom Royal Teague had known in Louisville in 1917, in the eleven weeks before his regiment sailed.
It took me until the middle of July to be told this, and I was told it by Constance Reyes, who kept the bookshop on Market Street and who had the valley’s whole history in her head with the dates attached.
“He bought that house for the view of her porch light,” she said. “Everybody knows it. He’s never said it, and everybody knows it, and I’ve never once heard anyone say it out loud until now, which tells you something about this valley.”
“It tells me something about you, too, since you’ve just said it.”
“I’ve said it to you because you’re the one he’s going to use to reach her,” she said, “and I’d rather you went into it knowing. You’re her cousin’s husband’s partner’s clerk, or something equally useless, and it’s the only thread he’s got, and he’ll pull it. I like you, Mr. Ledyard. I don’t especially like being the only person in this county willing to say a plain thing to a stranger’s face.”
I want to record exactly what I thought, standing in that shop, because it is the first of the several judgments I made that summer that turned out to be correct, and I made it before I had any reason beyond what she had just told me.
I thought: he will pull the thread, and I will let him, and I will tell myself while I do it that I am doing something else.
III
The Bracewells had me to dinner in the last week of July, which was Teague’s doing, though it was three months before I knew by what route.
Vivienne Bracewell was not beautiful in the way the valley described her, and it took me a while to work out what the valley was actually responding to. She was fine-boned and quick, with a manner of asking a question and then attending to the answer with a stillness that made you feel the answer had better be worth it. Her voice was low and slightly hoarse, and she used it sparingly, so that people leaned toward her out of an anxiety that they might miss something — which was, I came to think, at least half the effect.
Bracewell talked through most of dinner about a horse.
“The thing you have to understand about breeding,” he said, at one point, “is that you can’t undo it. You can improve a line over four generations and lose it in one bad crossing. It’s the same with people, only nobody will say so any more.”
“Hallam has been reading,” Vivienne said, to the table generally.
“I read a great deal.”
“He reads a great deal,” she agreed. “It comes out at dinner. There’s no stopping it once it starts, so we let it run and then talk about something else.”
She said it lightly, and everybody laughed, and Bracewell laughed too, a beat behind. And I saw, in that beat, a thing I would spend the rest of the summer watching: that she managed him constantly, that she was very good at it, that he half knew, and that the half-knowing was the engine of a considerable amount of what he did.
Later, on the terrace, she asked me about Teague.
“You’ve been to the house.”
“I have.”
“What’s he like now?”
The now did a great deal of work, and she let it. I remember thinking that she had probably rehearsed the question and had not managed to get the word out of it.
“He listens,” I said, “more completely than anyone I’ve met. And I don’t think he hears very much, because he’s already decided what he’s listening for.”
She looked at me then with an attention I had not yet earned.
“That’s exactly right,” she said. “That was exactly right in 1917, too. I wondered whether it would have changed.”
IV
He asked me on the second of August, and he did it well, which is to say he did it badly and I could see the whole machinery of it and went along anyway.
We were in the boathouse. He had been showing me a launch he had had built to a design he could not stop explaining, and then, in the middle of a sentence about the hull, he said: “I’d like you to ask Mrs. Bracewell to tea. At your place. And not to mention that I’d be there.”
“That’s a considerable thing to ask a man you’ve known nine weeks.”
“It is.” He did not apologise for it, which I respected, and did not pretend it was small, which I respected more. “I’ve thought about how to do it without asking you and there isn’t a way. I could arrange to meet her by accident a dozen times and she’d know it was arranged, and knowing it was arranged is the whole difficulty. It has to look like it wasn’t.”
“Why does it?”
He was quiet a moment, and then he said the sentence that I have carried out of that summer more than any other, and that I did not understand for months.
“Because if she has to decide to see me, then whatever happens after is only what she decided. I want it to be what it was.”
I did it. I want to be plain about that. I wrote the note, and she came, and he was there, and I went out and stood in the rain for the better part of an hour with the particular self-satisfaction of a man who believes he is being useful to a great passion. That is the honest account of what I was doing, and every other account I gave myself at the time — that I was being a good neighbour, that they were owed a hearing, that I had no business judging — was a story I told to keep from looking directly at the fact that I had been recruited and had enjoyed being recruited.
When I came back in they were at the window, and the rain had stopped, and Teague was saying something about the light across the water — that from her porch, at night, you could see his boathouse lamp if you knew where to look.
“I never knew that,” she said.
“No,” he said. “I know you didn’t.”
And I saw his face do something then that I could not read at the time and can read perfectly now: the small, involuntary flinch of a man discovering that a thing he has been holding for six years was, on the other end, not being held at all.
V
August was the good month, and I am obliged to say so, because the account would be false without it.
They were happy. I do not have a more sophisticated word and I distrust the sophisticated words. She came up the river three afternoons a week and they walked the grounds, and the parties stopped entirely — which the valley noticed and misread as economy — and Teague, who had spent five years constructing an enormous apparatus of attraction, dismantled the whole of it in about eleven days without appearing to notice he was doing it.
I saw them once from the road, not walking, only sitting on the low wall above the boathouse, not speaking, and there was a quality to it that I had not seen in either of them before and did not see again: they had both stopped performing. It lasted, so far as I could observe, about three weeks.
What ended it was not Bracewell. That is the thing I would most want understood by anyone reading this, and it is the thing the valley got wrong for years afterward, because Bracewell was the available villain and villains are convenient.
What ended it was that Teague began, around the last week of August, to ask her for something she could not give him, and to ask for it with a persistence that was very nearly gentle and entirely relentless. He wanted her to say that the six years had not happened. Not to leave Bracewell — that would have been a simple demand and she might have met it. He wanted her to say that she had never loved him, that the marriage had been an interval, that if the interval were removed the thing in Louisville would still be standing where he had left it.
I heard him ask her, once, in almost those words, from the terrace where I had gone to find my hat.
“I did love him,” she said. “I loved him in 1919 and for a while after. Royal, why does that have to be untrue?”
“Because if it’s true then what I’ve been doing for six years has been about somebody who stopped existing.”
“Then it has been,” she said. Not cruelly. That was what was terrible about it. “Royal, it has been. And I’m here anyway. Isn’t that better? I’m here and I’m the one who did all that and I came anyway.”
“No,” he said, and I do not think he knew what he was refusing. “No, that isn’t better.”
VI
There is a thing I have to set down here about Aloysius Teale, and it does not belong in the chronology, and I am putting it here because it is where I actually thought of it.
I had a letter from him in the first week of September. He was in Hartford, doing badly, though he did not say so directly; he wrote three pages about a fishing trip and one paragraph about a position he had lost, and asked nothing. And I sat with that letter at my kitchen table for an hour, and what I found myself thinking about was not Teale at all. It was that I had let a firm and a father and a whole valley believe that my situation was owed to a connection, when it was owed to a man in Hartford who had written three pages for nothing and was now out of work and had not asked me for a thing.
Nobody had been injured by that. I want to be exact. Bray never knew. My father was pleased and remained pleased. Teale did not know and would not have cared. There was no consequence anywhere in the world from my having let it stand, and I could have let it stand for the rest of my life at no cost to anyone.
And I understood, sitting there, that this was precisely the same operation I had been performing all summer — arranging for a version of events to be believed because the true version was less flattering to me, and calling the arrangement discretion. Teague wanted Vivienne to say the six years had not happened. I wanted the firm to believe my position had come by inheritance rather than by charity. These are not the same in scale. They are exactly the same in kind.
I wrote to Bray that week and told him plainly how I had come to the firm and that I had allowed a different impression to stand. He answered four days later, two sentences, saying he had known since 1923 because he had read Teale’s letter twice and my father’s not at all, and that he had wondered when I would get round to it. I have kept that note. It is the most humiliating piece of paper I own and I would not part with it.
I also wrote to Teale, and got him a place, and never told him that the getting had anything to do with me. That last part I have gone back and forth on for years, and I am no longer certain it was right. It may only have been the same operation running in a new direction.
VII
Bracewell knew by the second week of September, and what he did about it was worse than violence and considerably more effective.
He gave a dinner. He invited Teague to it, and me, and eight other people, and he spent the entire evening being courteous to Teague in a way that made Teague’s presence in that house a kind of exhibit. He asked him about the boathouse. He asked him where the money came from, twice, pleasantly, and accepted the vague answers with a nod that suggested he had expected them to be vague. He referred, once, to “Vivienne’s Louisville days” in a tone of general fondness that laid the whole thing on the table and then declined to pick it up.
And at the end of the evening, on the steps, he said to Teague — and I was three feet away and he did not lower his voice, because the not lowering was the point — “She’ll come back, you know. Not because she prefers me. Because you want her to be a girl of nineteen and I only want her to be at breakfast.”
It was the cruellest accurate thing I have ever heard one man say to another.
Teague drove home alone. I know, because I followed a quarter mile behind him the whole way and watched him turn in at his own gate, and sat in my car at the bottom of the hill for some minutes afterward, and then did nothing at all. That is the second act of mine in this account that I would take back if the taking back of acts were available. I knew what state he was in. I had the whole of the evidence. And I told myself that a man is entitled to his own house at midnight, and drove home, and slept badly, and have thought about that drive most weeks since.
VIII
He did not kill himself. I set that down immediately because I have found that people expect it, and the expectation is itself worth examining — there is a kind of story about men like Teague in which the ending is always the same, and the sameness of it is a way of not having to think about what actually happens to such men, which is generally longer and less shapely.
What happened was that on the twenty-eighth of September he came down to my carriage house at seven in the morning, unshaven, entirely sober, and asked me to drive him to Albany.
“There’s a man there I have to see about the Chicago end,” he said. “My own car’s known.”
The Chicago end. He had mentioned it perhaps four times all summer, always in that flat, unelaborated way, and I had asked nothing, because asking nothing was the arrangement, and the arrangement suited me. I had known since July, in the way one knows things one has decided not to look at, that the money was bad money. There was no other account of a man of thirty-five with a house like that and no history anyone could name.
“What’s in Albany, Royal?”
“A man.”
“What’s the business?”
“Sam,” he said, and he smiled at me with real affection, and it was the worst thing he could have done, “you’ve had nine months of not asking. You’ve been very good at it. Don’t spoil a thing you do well.”
And there it was, laid out plainly: the whole of what I had been to him, and the whole of what I had let myself be, described accurately and kindly by the man who had arranged it.
I want to record what I saw in that moment, because it is the one piece of moral perception in this entire account that I did not have to be taught by events afterward. I saw — not concluded, not reasoned out, saw — that driving him to Albany would be wrong. Not imprudent. Not risky for me. Wrong, in the way that a false weight is wrong, whatever it happens to weigh out to on a given morning. Whatever was in Albany, he was asking me to carry him to it on the strength of my being the one man in the valley who would not ask, and that particular usefulness was a thing I had built in myself, deliberately, over nine months, out of a preference for being near a large life rather than examining a small one.
I said no.
He was surprised, and then he was angry, and then — and this is the part I did not expect — he was something close to relieved, for about two seconds, before he put the anger back on. He said several things I will not set down, not because they were unbearable but because they were accurate, and a man does not need to publish an accurate description of himself twice.
Then he said: “There wasn’t time to arrange it another way.”
I have thought about that sentence a great deal. It was not true, and both of us knew several separate reasons it was not true. He had had a car and a driver and three days’ notice; he had rebuilt an entire boathouse on eleven weeks of planning; he had spent five years constructing a house within sight of a particular porch light and had chosen the site by triangulation, which Constance Reyes could have told anyone and eventually did. A man who can do those things has not been robbed of the capacity to arrange a journey to Albany. He said it anyway, and I let it go by, and it is the last thing he ever said to me.
IX
He went to Albany with a hired man and came back, and what happened to him afterward was slow and administrative and took two years. There were indictments in Chicago and a man named Sorrel who testified, and the house went in the spring of 1925 for considerably less than the boathouse alone had cost. He was not shot in a swimming pool. He was in a courtroom in Illinois for eleven days and then in a federal facility for four years, and the last I heard he was in Long Beach, selling something.
Vivienne did not leave Bracewell. She did not stay with him either, in any sense that the word ordinarily carries; they went to Europe in 1924 and came back separately and lived in the same house for eleven more years in a manner the valley found perfectly satisfactory and I found unwatchable. Bracewell was right, on the steps that night, in the most exact and least generous way. She did come back. Not because she preferred him.
I stayed in the valley. That surprised people, including me. There was a general expectation that I would go back to Ohio and write a rueful book, and I understand the expectation, because the shape of the summer wants that ending: the observer withdraws, having seen a great deal and touched nothing, and turns the not-touching into a kind of wisdom, and calls the whole business a lost world.
I have no patience with that ending and I will not supply it.
What I actually did was small. I went to Constance Reyes in the bookshop in November and told her she had been right in July, and that I had gone into it knowing, and had done it anyway, and had let a man use me as an instrument for nine months because being useful to somebody large felt better than being answerable for somebody small. She said, “Yes,” which was all it wanted. Then I did the one thing that summer left me capable of doing, which was to stop.
I stopped being the man who did not ask. It is the whole of my accomplishment and I am aware of the size of it. When the Bracewell business came up in the valley I said what I had seen, to the people it concerned, and it cost me two friendships and my standing at the club and a certain amount of business at the firm, and I would like to record that I did not do it out of any late-arriving courage. I did it because I had discovered, at a kitchen table in September, holding a letter from a claims adjuster in Hartford, that a man who will let one convenient impression stand will let all of them stand, and that there is no natural stopping place on that road except the one you put there yourself.
I married Constance in 1926. We have two children and the bookshop is still on Market Street and I am forty-one years old, writing this at the same kitchen table, and I find that I do not think of that summer as a lost world at all. It was not lost. It was spent, by people who chose how to spend it, including me. Royal Teague spent five years and a very great deal of money purchasing the right to ask a woman to say that six years of her life had not occurred, and she declined, correctly, and he did not survive the declining as a person, though he survived it as a man. Hallam Bracewell spent his to keep a woman at breakfast. I spent mine finding out what I was, which was not much, and then deciding what I would be instead, which is not much either but is at least mine and was at least decided.
People here still talk about the lights on that lawn. They say it the way you say a thing that has been settled: that there was a golden season once, and the current took it, and nothing anybody did or could have done was ever going to make the smallest difference.
That is a comfortable account and I do not believe a word of it. I was there. I watched four people make, between them, perhaps a dozen decisions that each of them could have made otherwise, and I made three of my own, and one of them — standing in a doorway on the twenty-eighth of September and saying no to a man I admired — I made deliberately, having seen exactly what it was, and would make again tomorrow. The current had nothing to do with it. There is no current. There is only what a man does on a particular morning, and what he does the morning after that, and the story he tells himself in between about which of the two was up to him.
THE END
Theoretical foundations: Grant C. Sterling (Eastern Illinois University). Analysis and synthesis: Dave Kelly. Prose rendering: Claude (Anthropic). 2026.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home