Stoic News

By Dave Kelly

Sunday, June 18, 2023

CBT Resources Useful for Stoics in Identifying and Addressing Automatic Thoughts


I asked both ChatGPT and Bard to rewrite the text immediately following in better English:


I believe that the concepts of "automatic thoughts" and "impressions" bear enough resemblance to make the CBT  literature and articles on the web, on identifying and dealing with automatic thoughts, useful to the Stoic. But for me the Stoic beliefs and principles take precedence, and somewhat interrupt the CBT therapeutic process. For example, my belief that since virtue is the _only_ good, and vice the _only_ bad, then externals are never either good or bad, if I believe it, then the "upset" will disappear. I believe that with the disturbing automatic thoughts a falsely valued external, either good or bad, can be found. So, for me that is where⁸ Stoicism takes over. But the CBT techniques are worth learning.


"ChatGPT"

"I believe that the concepts of "automatic thoughts" and "impressions" share enough similarities to make the literature and online articles on cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) useful for Stoics in identifying and addressing automatic thoughts. However, my commitment to Stoic beliefs and principles takes precedence and somewhat disrupts the CBT therapeutic process. For instance, I firmly believe that virtue is the only true good, and vice is the only true bad, which means that external factors can never truly be classified as good or bad. If I hold this belief, any distress caused by external factors will dissipate. I believe that disturbing automatic thoughts can stem from a falsely assigned value to external things, either positive or negative. Therefore, Stoicism becomes my guiding philosophy in such situations. Nevertheless, the techniques of CBT are still valuable and worth learning" (ChatGPT).


"Bard"

"Sure, I can rewrite that for you in better English. Here is the rewritten text:"

"I believe that the concepts of "automatic thoughts" and "impressions" are similar enough that CBT resources on identifying and dealing with automatic thoughts can be useful to Stoics. However, my Stoic beliefs and principles take precedence and sometimes interrupt the CBT therapeutic process. For example, I believe that virtue is the only good and vice is the only bad, and that externals are neither good nor bad. If I truly believe this, then any upsetting thoughts I have about externals will disappear. I believe that these upsetting thoughts are often caused by falsely valuing externals as good or bad. Therefore, I believe that Stoicism takes over at this point in the CBT process. However, I still believe that CBT techniques are worth learning" (Bard).




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home