Stoic News

By Dave Kelly

Saturday, October 03, 2026

An Inner Dialogue — The Six Commitments in One Act v0.1

 

Here is the Blogger body fragment, with every commitment tag linked to its page. I added a status line near the end marking it as a blog illustration and not a corpus document; strike it if you'd rather not say so. 

An Inner Dialogue — The Six Commitments in One Act v0.1

Theoretical foundations: Grant C. Sterling (Eastern Illinois University). Analysis and synthesis: Dave Kelly. Prose rendering: Claude (Anthropic). 2026.


The Beginning

Everyone wants happiness; complete happiness must lie wholly within his control; only assent does; so happiness is correct assent, correct when it matches the truth about value. The whole act is therefore a conversation about one question: is what this says true?


Before Anything Arrives

I: Things will be said to me today. Each will be a saying, and each is already true or false before I look. (C5, C6)


It Arrives

It: He said in front of everyone that you don’t know what you’re talking about. You’ve been humiliated, and that is bad.

I: Something has been asserted. “You’ve been humiliated, and that is bad.” That is the claim, and whether it is so is a second matter. (C5)

It: Your face is hot. Your stomach dropped.

I: Yes, that’s here. It came to me, and I’m the one it came to. The hot face is something I have. (C1)

It: Anyone would be upset.

I: Perhaps. But a show of hands doesn’t settle it, and neither does how strongly I feel it. The claim has an answer already. (C6)

It: So answer it. It’s bad.

I: Where would that fail? It says his opinion of me is an evil for me. His opinion isn’t mine to settle. What my happiness rests on has to be wholly mine, so nothing outside my own judging can be good or evil for me. That’s the bottom, and I stop there. (C4)

It: Then you’ll just let him get away with it?

I: That’s a different question: what is fitting here? I can see it without building a case. Answer him civilly, don’t strike back, and fix the second paragraph, because he was half right about it. (C3)

It: You’re only telling yourself this to feel better.

I: If that were all it was, it would be worth nothing. I’m after what is so. (C5, C6)

It: You can’t help how you take it.

I: How I take it is the one thing here that is my own doing. Nothing that came before gives the verdict for me. (C2) I judge that this is not an evil. A man said a thing about a paragraph.


Afterward

I: My face is still warm. That part was never mine to command.


This dialogue is an illustration for the blog, not a corpus document. The wording is not Sterling’s. It follows the frames of Six Frames — Each Commitment Held in the First Person v0.1.


Theoretical foundations: Grant C. Sterling (Eastern Illinois University). Analysis and synthesis: Dave Kelly. Prose rendering: Claude (Anthropic). 2026.

```

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home