Stoic News

By Dave Kelly

Friday, October 02, 2026

C2 — What the Commitment Carries: A Study Note v0.1

 

C2 — What the Commitment Carries: A Study Note v0.1

Theoretical foundations: Grant C. Sterling (Eastern Illinois University). Analysis and synthesis: Dave Kelly. Prose rendering: Claude (Anthropic). 2026.


I. Beginning

The chain: everyone wants happiness; complete happiness must lie wholly within control; only assent does; happiness is correct assent. C2 is studied at the same joint as C1, “only assent is within control.” C1 fixes the boundary. C2 answers whether what lies inside it is controlled. Canonical numbering: C1 Substance Dualism, C2 Libertarian Free Will, C3 Ethical Intuitionism, C4 Foundationalism, C5 Correspondence Theory, C6 Moral Realism. The aim is understanding, not persuasion.


II. Sterling Primary, by Date

  • 7 Apr 2017. On Chrysippus’s view “there is no substantial difference between my choices and my natural eye color.” This “fundamentally undermines the crucial Stoic distinction between things in our control and things not in our control.” “Only if I have real free will, free will that takes me away from the chain of necessity, can it make any sense to talk about ‘guidance’ or ‘craft’ or what we ‘ought’ to do.”
  • 17 Apr 2017. Three positions: hard determinism, soft determinism, indeterminism. The second “is incoherent.” “I argue for ‘3’, but I think those arguments are inconclusive.” He reads Epictetus as an indeterminist. “There are two different problems here”: the will’s freedom, and how the act of will connects to later physical events. “I have total control over my will, and God has total control over all externals.”
  • 12 Dec 2018 (read as quoted). Free will requires denying only that “every physical event must have an entirely physical cause.”
  • 30 Aug 2019 (read as quoted). “‘Control’ means ‘I can make this do what I want it to do, when I want it to do it.’” Partial control is “logical nonsense.”
  • 3 Sep 2019. “The real ‘me’ consists of the things that I do, the things that I control” (read as quoted). To Edelstein: either the urge is overpowering and there is no control, or “on some occasions I used my control to yield, and on some I used my control to resist.”
  • 4 and 6 Sep 2019. Chrysippean determinism “is corrosive with respect to Stoicism, and in this one case I actually think ancient Stoic Physics hinders Stoic Ethics.” “Please do not pretend that belief in free will is classic Stoic doctrine.”
  • 18 Aug 2021. Able’s “character is not up to him in any robust sense.” Quantum indeterminacy “doesn’t really matter.” Choices are “guided by our character, by our preferences, etc., but not dictated by those things.” Physical laws hold only if no other force operates, and “the physical world is not and never was a closed system.” “I don’t claim that it is a Stoic solution.”

III. Corpus Synthesis

The Argument v1.0 §2 holds that Th6 and Th27 require C2: a determined act of will is a happening, not a doing.


IV. Readings

  • R1. C2’s own work is origination. C1 says what I am; C2 says that what I do is my own doing and not the unfolding of what came before.
  • R2. Each commitment is idle without the other. A distinct faculty whose assents were necessitated would be a spectator. An undetermined event with no subject would be chance. Sterling joins the two in one sentence (3 Sep 2019), and his dismissal of quantum indeterminacy shows that what is needed is an agent, not a gap.
  • R3. Control has no degrees, so C2 has none. On each occasion either the faculty cannot function and there is no control, or it can and control is entire. This joins the 2013 dementia post.
  • R4. Here the ancient school breaks the chain, the point deferred from C1 — What the Commitment Carries: A Study Note v0.1. If correct assent was fixed before a man’s birth, complete happiness returns to fortune, which is the position Sterling assigns to Aristotle.
  • R5. C2 does not say assent is uncaused or arbitrary. Reasons guide without dictating. This answers the standard objection that an undetermined choice is a random one (outside the corpus).
  • R6. C2 as the chain needs it concerns only the first of Sterling’s two problems, the will’s own freedom. The chain needs no answer about what follows the act in the world.
  • R7. Unlike C1, the necessity claim for C2 is Sterling’s own. The truth claim he marks as argued but “inconclusive.”
  • R8. The departure from the ancient school is open and stated by him, where his dualism was not aimed at the ancients at all.

V. Open Items

  • The “zero-sum argument” cited in The Argument v1.0 §2 is not located under that name.
  • On 17 Apr 2017 Sterling says he has written on free will “at great length elsewhere.” Not located.
  • The later post promised on 4 Sep 2019 is not located.
  • In the posts opened he writes “real free will” and “indeterminism.” No use of “libertarian” in his own words was found.
  • The C2 commitment page attributes “the Pause” to Sterling. The term does not appear in the posts opened.
  • He allows that strong reasons with virtually none opposed may dictate a choice. Whether origination requires open alternatives at every assent, the Sage’s included, is undecided.
  • His reading of Epictetus as an indeterminist is, as far as is known here, a minority one among scholars (outside the corpus).

VI. Sources

Opened in full: Sterling’s posts of 7 and 17 Apr 2017, 3 Sep 2019 (to Edelstein), and 4 and 6 Sep 2019; the corpus document “Free Will and Causation” (his post of 18 Aug 2021); The Argument v1.0. Read as quoted inside those: his posts of 30 Aug 2019 and 3 Sep 2019 (to Kevin). Carried from C1 — What the Commitment Carries: A Study Note v0.1: 12 Dec 2018, 30 Sep 2019, 12 Mar 2013. Searched only: the C2 commitment page.


Theoretical foundations: Grant C. Sterling (Eastern Illinois University). Analysis and synthesis: Dave Kelly. Prose rendering: Claude (Anthropic). 2026.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home