Stoic News

By Dave Kelly

Thursday, December 29, 2022

I've chosen to believe in Jesus Christ AND Stoic ethics.


I've chosen to believe in Jesus Christ AND Stoic ethics.

Here is the take of another Christian who speaks well of Stoicism.

"Why I would become a Stoic"

"As a professor at Houston Baptist University, each spring I guide a group of students through the Stoic Meditations of Marcus Aurelius. As part of that journey I always confess, to the surprise of many students, that if it could be proven Christ didn’t rise from the dead, I’d abandon Christianity and become a Stoic.

"I mean that. If the resurrection didn’t happen, then Christianity is a hoax. If Christianity is a hoax, then God has not really spoken. And if God hasn’t really spoken, then the best plan of action is to rein in one’s passions, curb one’s desires, and conform to nature. In a word, play it safe. And nobody plays it safer than the Stoics."

https://www.thegospelcoalition.org/reviews/free-ancient-guide-stoic-life/


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home