Stoic News

By Dave Kelly

Friday, June 21, 2024

The Judgment Within

  

With a little prompting Claude produced this:



"The Judgment Within"


"I awoke to the sound of rain pattering against the window. As I lay there listening, a familiar unease began to stir within me. "Another dreary day," I thought with a sigh. "How am I to keep up my spirits when the skies are so persistently gray?"

"But then I paused, reminded of the Stoic teaching that it is not external events themselves that disturb us, but rather our judgments about them. The rain itself was merely a natural occurrence, neither good nor bad in itself. It was my view of the rain as "dreary" that invited the seed of discontent to take root in my mind.

"I resolved then to drop that judgment, to simply accept the rain without the negative perception coloring it. As I did so, an inner shift occurred - the rain became mere rain again, nothing more. I could appreciate its soft rhythm and pause to consider how vital it is for nourishing the earth. My unease dissolved.

"Later, as I made my way through the day's tasks and inevitably encountered minor delays, frustrations, and obstacles, I strove to apply the same principle. Whenever I felt that flicker of annoyance or anger, I stopped to interrogate the judgment behind the feeling. "This is bad. This is unfair. This should not be happening." Each time, I worked to reframe it, to recognize that the events themselves were neutral - it was my resistance to them that created the emotional turmoil.

"When I blamed the world for my troubles, I remained at their mercy, buffeted by every perceived setback or misfortune. But to hold my judgments up to the light of reason was an emancipating act. I realized the extent to which I remained bound, not by circumstances, but by the values and assumptions I had accepted without inspection. To pause and divest myself of those harmful judgments was to taste a measure of freedom.

"The day's inevitable flux of pleasant and unpleasant events remained the same. But more and more, I stopped investing them with distress or delight. I simply met each moment as it arose, worked to align my judgments with the rational perspective, and could therefore greet all occurrences with equanimity. The impediments no longer imprisoned me, but became opportunities to reinforce the insight that my serene mind was impervious to the vagaries of fortune.

"As the Stoics taught, to blame others is the habit of the ignorant and untrained mind. To blame oneself shows the beginning of wisdom. But to abstain from blame entirely by ceasing to judge events as intrinsically good or bad - this is the mark of one whose education in the art of living has reached its culmination. With devotion to this path, I aim to advance along that journey each day, strengthening my command over the judgments that ultimately shape my life" -- Claude.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home