Stoic News

By Dave Kelly

Thursday, June 20, 2024

The Art of Detachment


With a little prompting Claude produced this:



"The Art of Detachment"


"I picked up the ceramic jug and felt its cool smooth surface. A prized possession, this jug brought me great pleasure to behold and use. Yet as I cradled it in my hands, I reminded myself "This is just a jug. An inanimate object, impermanent and fragile." I visualized it shattering into pieces on the hard floor. At that moment, it lost its luster in my mind's eye. I saw it simply as shaped clay, devoid of any greater significance beyond its utility.

"My young son came toddling over, giggling. I scooped him up and he planted a wet kiss on my cheek. How I cherished this little human! Yet I reminded myself "He is a man, mortal and impermanent like all beings." I pictured his tiny body, cold and lifeless. The thought chilled me, but also detached me from clinging to him or taking his presence for granted.

"Later, as I bid farewell to my wife before work, I looked upon her lovely face. I felt a pang of ardent affection. Then I thought "She is human, just a temporary amalgam of atoms, no more permanent than a flickering flame." I imagined her gone from my life and the pang turned bittersweet. My attachment loosened, replaced by an upwelling of appreciation for our fleeting shared moments.

"On my commute, I was cut off by an aggressive driver. Rather than growing angry, I thought "This situation too is impermanent and outside my control." My frustration deflated almost instantly. At work, a situation arose that seemed unfortunate. But I reassessed it as merely the natural unfolding of an inherently chaotic world, nothing to revolt against.

"With practice, I learned to perceive reality at its essence in this way. I rarely reacted rashly, but met all circumstances with calm equanimity. My thoughts remained even, unburdened by cravings or aversions. Impermanence became not a curse but a blessing, as I saw all as unfolding exactly as nature demanded without resistance or attachment. I felt liberated to simply appreciate each experience, bypassing useless negative judgments or fixations. Life flowed smoothly, without clinging to any snatching grasp of satisfactions or dreads. I existed at balance, serene in acceptance of reality's constant flux" -- Claude.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home