Stoic News

By Dave Kelly

Wednesday, July 19, 2023

Stoic training, (or therapy, if you prefer)


This view of Stoic training, (or therapy, if you prefer), does not use CBT to treat, but to inform. It uses core Stoic beliefs to challenge faulty ( Discourses, 4.12.19) thinking and behavior.


Core Beliefs of Stoicism 

1. Happiness (eudaimonia) is to be found exclusively in Virtue." 

2. The only things we control are inner events such as our beliefs, desires, and acts of will.

3. Virtue (or virtue and certain things that can be attained only by those with virtue) is the only genuine good, and vice the only genuine evil.

4. Ergo, since virtue and vice are types of acts of will, they are in our control.

 5. Ergo, things not in our control [externals] are neither good nor evil.

 6. Emotions (or passions, if you prefer) arise from (false) beliefs that externals have value.

7. No-one should be distressed by any external occurrence."



"All-or-Nothing Thinking; Automatic Negative Thoughts regarding Procrastination:

a) "If I don't start this task right now, I'm a complete failure."

b) "I'll never be able to finish this project on time because I've wasted too much time already."

c) "If I can't do it perfectly, there's no point in even trying."

d) "If I don't complete everything on my to-do list today, I might as well not bother at all."

e) "I always procrastinate, so I'll never be successful."

f) "If I take a break now, I'll never get back to work and I'll never accomplish anything."

g) "I've procrastinated too much in the past, so I'm destined to always be a procrastinator."

h) "If I don't meet this deadline, I'm a total failure and everyone will be disappointed in me."

i) "If I start this task and don't finish it immediately, I might as well not have started at all."

j) "I've procrastinated in the past, so I'll never be able to change my habits and become more productive (ChatGPT).


"All-or-nothing thinking; Explanation:This cognitive distortion involves perceiving things in extreme terms, with no shades of gray or middle ground. It's characterized by thinking in absolute terms of "either-or," where situations or people are seen as either perfect or completely flawed, without considering any nuances or variations" (ChatGPT).


"All-or-Nothing Thinking; Challenging with core Stoic beliefs. Procrastinators often view tasks as either perfect or a complete failure, with no middle ground. Stoicism challenges this distortion by considering situations as externals (core belief 5). By acknowledging that the outcome of a task is not the sole determinant of its value, individuals can challenge black-and-white thinking. Instead, they can focus on their virtuous efforts and the progress they make, recognizing that even imperfect actions contribute to their overall growth and well-being. By embracing the Stoic belief in the inherent value of acting virtuously (core belief 3), individuals can overcome all-or-nothing thinking and approach tasks with a more flexible and balanced mindset. They can find fulfillment in the process of striving for excellence rather than being fixated on the final outcome"(ChatGPT).


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home