Stoic News

By Dave Kelly

Tuesday, May 30, 2023

Putting Philosophy To Use

 

Philosophy as the Act of Choosing by Brittany Polat


Putting Philosophy To Use

"It’s possible that I’m reading too much into Epictetus’ words, and this isn’t really what he was talking about. I have no way of knowing what he meant to say in those famous lectures. Maybe I’m way off the mark. Ultimately, though, I don’t think it matters. What interests me, and probably most modern Stoics, is applying ancient wisdom to live better lives today. And I believe that focusing on philosophy as choice can help us a great deal. I have already felt a profound difference in my own Stoic practice as a result of this new perspective.

"When you picture your Stoic practice as a series of moment-by-moment choices, your philosophy becomes urgent, vital, almost alive. Philosophy isn’t something that you just practice sometimes, like you might practice tennis or piano. Philosophy is something that you practice every minute of your life. This is because every moment requires a decision from you. What do I do in this moment, in this situation – practice philosophy or not? Do I make the effort to bring my thoughts and actions in line with my principles, or do I let it slide? Seeing philosophy as a choice forces you to confront your principles daily and hourly. There is nowhere to hide" -- Brittany Polat


"On the Stoic view, my "action" is my _choice_, not anything I physically do" -- Grant C. Sterling.

My "Action" Is My Choice_


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home