Stoic News

By Dave Kelly

Monday, September 27, 2004

PTypes’ Typology

I've been working for quite a while on a typology of personality that I've tried to integrate with Stoic moral psychology. Here is a representation of the typology which I posted to a personality types board that I am a member of.

I've imagined that, typologically speaking, there are four primary motivations: superiority, power, belonging, and pleasure, which correspond to the classic four temperaments. The motivations would be considered rational when they are preferences, but irrational when they are desires.

"It's okay to prefer superiority, power, belonging, and pleasure, and to disprefer the lack of them; but for Stoics, it's not okay to desire, need, or delight in them, nor to fear, or be distressed by, the lack of them."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home