Stoic News

By Dave Kelly

Tuesday, March 18, 2003

I have as an epigraph to my personality types web site this famous quote of William James:

"The history of philosophy is to a great extent that of a clash of human temperaments. Undignified as such a treatment may seem to some of my colleagues, I shall have to take account of this clash and explain a good many of the divergencies of philosophers by it. Of whatever temperament a professional philosopher is, he tries when philosophizing to sink the fact of his temperament. Temperament is no conventionally recognized reason, so he urges impersonal reasons only for his conclusions. Yet his temperament really gives him a stronger bias than any of his more strictly objective premises."

The word that best describes my type is hermit

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home